View Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where can I see my tax card?
Answer: Assessing Database The database can search by Address, Owner Name and Map and lot number (MBLU)
2. What are my setbacks? Can I build my house on this lot? What are the zoning requirements?
Answer: First, check which Zone the lot is in, view both Zoning & Shoreland Zoning. Then, check the Dimensional Requirements on page 39 of the Berwick Land Use Ordinance.
3. Am I in a Flood Zone/Does the property need Flood Insurance?
Answer: Come into the Town Hall is look at our FEMA Flood Maps. Or Enter your address using the FEMA Flood Map Service and click "View/Print Firm" or "Download Firm/Panel."
www.freeflood.net is another similar resource.
4. Are there special requirements for footings on a deck?
Answer: If it is free-standing, then no. If it is connected to a house, sonotube under the frost line.
5. Do I need a permit to replace my roof/kitchen/basement
Answer: Yes, pretty much any renovation will require a permit so we can keep our assessing information up to date. The cost of the permit is $11 per $1,000 of construction cost. Here is the link to the building permit form.
6. What are the driveway standards?
Answer: For the second house on a road: 15' wide, 15" deep of gravel
7. When do I need to build a road to Town Standard?
Answer: After the second house is built/before a third house is built.